My little boy is so sick:(
It started on Sunday with a little cough, a rattle and a cough, something I've never heard. I was worried, wondering about aspiration and when and if that might have happened... That evening Jonathan fussed and fell right asleep when we laid him down for an unscheduled nap at dinner time. Monday, Valentines was the same, a cough and a sleepy boy. We figured it was Owens cries that had kept him up. Monday night he slept hard, but he awoke often battling this cough that sounded worse. By 6am he was setting his pulse ox off, even on bipap and 2L of oxygen, he was not able to hold his oxygen levels above the mid 80's. I knew something was very wrong. I cried, It's so scary when your child has to work hard to do the most simple thing... breath.
I sent Mom , Caleb and my dear sweet son off to the nearest ER... I felt so helpless, home alone learning how to nurse my precious newborn and being able to do absolutely nothing to comfort my oldest son in his suffering.
Long story short:
Tuesday: ER at St Lukes... they suctioned him and that helped a lot. They cultured the snot and it came back positive for RSV. In the meantime fever set in 103. Dr's told us it would get worse before it got better and transported him downtown to Texas Childrens. He had a long restless night filled with fever, breathing treatments and exhausted sleep. Caleb and Mom stayed with him and I cried at home. Heidi and Theo arrived from MT and their presence with me at home was a God send. They helped me with Owen and gave me the encouragement to deal with being away from Jonathan.
Wednesday: My son spent his second birthday in the hospital feeling like poo! The hospital put a banner on his door and brought him balloons, a toy and a cake. He enjoyed a few taste of cake and his new toy, but slept and coughed and had waves of fever as his little body did battle on his behalf. Pop came to relieve Mom and stayed with Caleb and Jonathan through the night. My heart broke that I couldn't be with him on his special day, I'm so glad he had his daddy to snuggle him.
Thursday: More of the same, Caleb said Jonathan was able to eat some breakfast and drink some. However he gets pooped quickly and it will probably be a few more days before he is well enough to come home. After resting and visiting and spending the night with us, Mom returned to the hospital and relieved Caleb. My dear sweet husband is home now resting. He has stepped up and been such an amazing Dad, advocating and fighting to get Jonathan the best care possible. He's never had to do this alone, without me by his side, and I am so proud of him. I know in a million years I couldn't have made a better choice in a father for our children. Tonight Mom and Pop will stay with my boy. I am so blessed to have a family so close and praying friends who provide for our needs physical and spiritual. God is mighty and to be PRAISED and although we are not there yet, we claim His healing for our son, we thank Him for his provision and guidance this far and we look forward to the blessings he has in store for our future!
to be continued...









Precious baby boy, get better so you can get home to your mommy!
ReplyDeleteWhat a no good birthday! I can't imagine how hard this is for you, being away from your little guy and trying to focus on Owen. I'm so sorry. Much prayer and hope for Jonathan to recover quickly.
ReplyDeleteOh, man, this stinks!!!! Nate was hospitalized with RSV for a week when he was a baby, and that was awful enough, but add in the mama can't stay there and a birthday in the hospital ... well, I'd be feeling pretty sorry for myself! I love that you're praising god instead.
ReplyDeletePoor baby, but he is so blessed to have such loving family around him to comfort him!
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing you are Kim. I know this isn't easy but know lots of prayers go up for all of you. Keep strong.
ReplyDeleteOh Lord heal sweet Jonathan now please!!
ReplyDeleteRSV is so hard, thank goodness for all the support wrapping their loving arms around your family. I am so thankful for that for you... I have been doing the hospital with my son all week, and as a single mom it is SO HARD, I hope and pray no ones else has to do it this way! Reading stories like this about your Caleb brings me hope and encouragement that real Godly men exist out there! Tell him I think he is answering his call AMAZINGLY!
Prayers for your whole family in this very hard time!