Thursday, May 7, 2009

Feeling Down

The internet generation cousins:)
Sleeping with Daddy
First shots:(
He likes his sling!

Adorable!

I haven't updated lately, and to tell you the truth I've been fighting a battle of discouragement.
Days after it seemed our little man got the hang of the breastfeeding thing, he once again started getting lazy.  And then... Fri April 24th the scale broke.  It quit reading weights.  We had to mail it back to Texas Children's and we have been in the dark since.  It's so scary, some days it seems he gets enough, others he's fussy all day, never seeming satisfied.  That, and his weight is at a near standstill.  I have NO idea when or how much to supplement (so I don't), I'm just about at my wits end.  Scales are expensive, but I honestly have no idea what else to do.  

In the meantime... 
We visited the eye specialist and he confirmed that "yes" Jonathan is not focusing on or following objects.  It seems Jonathan's retinas are immature and his ocular nerve is small... I have no idea what this means and the eye Dr was not interested in giving us any more info, he just said to come back in 3 months... uhhh, ok.
Jonathan's hernia is also getting bigger.  It's like 3 inches long and it gurgles.  It looks super scary, but apparently it's ok.  It reduces easily when pushed, but it pops back-out right away.  Surgery is not scheduled until May 21st, it seems like a LONG time to wait, and it's stressful to know something could go wrong in the meantime.
On a positive note, he had another bladder/kidney ultrasound and things look good.  No changes since we left Texas.  The Urology Dr gave us the ok to stop our once a day cathing and our daily ammoxicillan.  Hopefully he will continue to empty his bladder on his own and we can also continue to avoid UTI's.
We had our first official pediatrician appointment last Friday.  She was still quite concerned that he's not meeting his milestones in vision and that he's not smiling at us.  She wants us to meet with a genetic specialist to see if there may be something more than Spina Bifida going on with out little guy (sheesh!) and she wants us back tomorrow to check his weight.
To say the least, it's been a trying last 2 weeks.  I'm scared, I'm overwhelmed, I'm stressed and I'm tired.  
However... I DO like him!  He's awesome, he's amazing and I wouldn't trade him for the world!


7 comments:

  1. Kim, First of all, I love you all and am still praying fervently for you! It is my place to encourage you. Jonathan is a great blessing to all of us, and we praise God for him. Just keep doing what you know to do and God will continue to bless you! Love and miss ya'll so very much and always, Aunt Dona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus, I lift Kim, Caleb and Jonathan to you. We claim your promise that "no weapon formed against us shall prosper" (Isaiah54:17) and we know all things work together for good and we are more than conquerors in You (Rom. 8). Father, give Kim and Caleb peace and a sound mind to know how to pray. Release them from fear and give them strength to act on the things that can do good for Jonathan. We pray he would begin to gain weight and that the issues with his eyes would be brought to light and a plan be made to correct them. Jesus, you knew this little man before he was formed in the womb, and, just as you know every hair on his head, you know every cell in his body and how it is functioning. Give the doctors wisdom and hold, especially, Kim's mother's heart in your hands. By the power of Your cross, in Jesus Name, Amen.
    Hey sister - He loves Jonathan even more than you do! Isn't that crazy?! I can't even fathom Him loving my kids more than me. I'm going to battle for you guys in prayer. Love you. Tammi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally concur with Tammi
    GOD IS IN CONTROL !!
    and HE has plans prosper you in your faith and parenthood....love you so much, moma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kim! There's a lot on your plate!

    My life it so easy...so why am I not perfect????? I still get frustrated with my kids all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, kim! didn't realize u had a blog!(my mom is really good at keeping me posted, though! :))
    whew, i agree, there is a lot on your plate...wish i could help carry that load.
    i learned from my mom (and she DOES say she's always right! lol) that when all else fails, pray. when all runs smoothly, pray.
    we are all praying for you, your husband and baby jonathan (who, btw is absolutely ADORABLE!!).
    love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoops, forgot to mention myself...that would be your bestest 29 year old cousin debbie :)

    ReplyDelete