Friday, January 30, 2009

BBP #3, STD's, Cheese Burgers and Hospital Tours

Jonathan's face shot, (right ear up), eyes, nose mouth:)

Fri Jan 30th
We had 3 appointments in Houston. First we had Jonathan's 3rd BPP. He did great, his fluid levels were up and he was moving around like a champ! The kid was making ME tired with all that moving! The ultrasound tech, Ashley, was super. She let us look at Jonathan a lot and kept saying what a cute personality he has:) She also measured him and got a weight of 6lbs 5oz. He's still putting on about an ounce a day! Caleb is guessing 7lbs 2oz at birth, just like him. I think we can get a good 7lbs 5oz outta Jonathan though!
Next I saw the Nurse Practitioner... now the following info may fall into the "TMI" category, but it upset me A LOT! She came in and wanted to test me for STD's (Clap and Gonorrhea). I asked why and she said you can give them to the baby while giving birth... I was like HELLO I'm having a c-section. Then she said it was standard and they test everyone. I told her there was no need (since Caleb and I have had no other partners EVER!) She looked at me like I was a nut job! Then she said she would have to check with the Dr. She came back and said, well ok, but then threatened that they would have to treat Jonathan with antibiotics at birth, just to be safe. WHAT!? I was beyond ticked, but told her to do the test because I was going to refuse the antibiotics for Jonathan. Yeah, she gave me the "nut job" look again, but whatever. So, I get to pay for labs to prove that duhhhhhhhh, I don't have STD's and I won't be passing them on to my kid OR my husband. I feel violated!
*Later I looked it up... she should have let me sign a waver and respected my decision. I can ALSO sign a waver to refuse the antibiotics for Jonathan. I want my money back!
*AND those are not the standard test everywhere... I'm just saying!

Next, we had lunch. We finally found the good eats!! There is a little food court building and we ate at Cliff's Burgers, WOW! I had a good ol' fashion cheeseburger, it was great!!! It cheered me up a little:)
After lunch my coordinator, Lisa, gave us the grand hospital tour. At 37weeks and full of burger, it was a long... slow... tour lol:) We got to see the Maternity unit at St. Lukes. Then we went down a few halls and over to the ICU at Texas Childrens where they will take Jonathan. It's a HUGE unit and different than I expected. It helped to see the reality of where they will keep our son the first few weeks of his life. It's better than I thought. We also saw the in-hospital Ronald McDonald house... good ol' Ronald. It's nice and will be a good place to take much need breaks while spending our days at the hospital with Jonathan.
It was a long day... I was asleep before we hit the interstate!

1 comment:

  1. So hear you on the violation, sister. It's frustrating how they can push you on some of those things. Everyone should get their own personal medical liaison. That stuff happens a lot. You could totally push them on refunding you!

    ReplyDelete