Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Long Days Sleepless Nights

Big boy shirt & a big boy crib.
Snoozing on Daddy!

Wednesday already? How time flies!
The last few days have been LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGG. I don't know if it's because we are so tired but the last few days have been hard. Waking up every 3 hours to pump is also really cutting into my sleep (and Caleb's he's a trooper and sits up with me). Have I mentioned I would so rather just bring my baby home and nurse!?
Jonathan had his head ultrasound on Monday we had to wait all day before hearing the results, it was a hard day... but hooray, the results were good!! There has been a slight increase in the fluid in his head but nothing out of the ordinary. Basically the body needs to figure out what to do with the fluid now that it can't leak out of his back. If the fluid can stabilize we are good, if not it will continue to build and we will need the shunt. The Dr has also noticed that there is a slight bulging under Jonathan's closure, this too is spinal fluid and the body must reabsorb this also before we are in the clear. It looks to be going down (on Monday Caleb and I were really worried, it looked very puffy), and his head measurements are also staying stable. The Dr is cautiously optimistic, but still not sure that a shunt won't be needed. PLEASE KEEP PRAYING
Because we are still watching his back, Jonathan has to continue to lay on his side or his tummy (no back time yet :(, my arms are just itching to pick him up and hold him tight, I can hardly wait.
Breast feeding is coming along. The Ear/Nose/Throat Doc's came by today and snipped his little tongue... he did so well, one little cry and it was over. His suck is so much stronger now and I can see his tongue!! He has even been able to latch on twice today! Please keep us in your prayers though, we still have a ways to go before we will be officially "breast feeding" by the hospital standards. It's a little tricky with how we do the holding and such, but we both try hard for hours every day.
Oh, we also got moved to the level 2NICU. This means Jonathan is now in a "big boy crib" and they even put a shirt on him yesterday (of course it's now off because we have to keep things off of his surgery site, but it was cute to see). Our new location also has windows and a view and I really like the team of Nurse Practitioners on this side, so I 'm glad for the move.
Thank you again for your prayers, I know God is still healing our little boy, please pray for us as we wait (it's the hardest part) on Him!

2 comments:

  1. Great report! Thanks for sharing what's happening. It's so informative and it helps us know how to pray!
    I still believe we have an awesome God. He's the one in charge. And it sounds like He's doing a GREAT job taking care of your little man!
    I want you to know, you and Caleb are on the top of our prayer list, as well as Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kimberly! I'm so sorry for the lack of sleep! It makes everything harder, for sure! You both are doing such a great job and are so dedicated! Keep up the good work! I'm very excited to see you back in Billings! Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete