Saturday, February 21, 2009

Got Milk?

Liquid GOLD!!!
Happiest on Mommy!!

I have eyes!!! 
Sweet baby!!!! (you can see his incision covered by a clear sterile dressing)

Ok, this pumping thing super stinks!  I've never been so proud of 2 oz of fluid in my life!!  My milk supply is coming, but I'm not keeping up... yet!  Every pump is a frustrating victory (I'd rather have a kid on my boob though!!:)
They started Jonathan on 20mils of donor milk via tube feeding on Wed, since he seems to be in no pain they also started weening him off his baby-dope (Morphine).  Thurs he was on to 30mils and Tylenol in his milk every other feeding (off IV fluids) and down to one IV for the morphine.  Fri he went to Tylenol only in his 40mils of milk and NO IV's!!!!  The only tube we have now is the feeding tube and he's taking a whopping 60 mil (2oz) every 3 hours.  Jonathan and I do skin to skin cuddling for at least 2 of his tube feeds a day, Jonathan totally knows where that milk should come from, and should have no trouble with the nursing thing come Tuesday, he's a smart little boy!  
The Dr's have nothing but great reports every day.  Jonathan's head measurements are stable, the fluid seems to be draining and circulating in his head like normal.  The Dr's are hoping that a shunt won't be needed!  They will do a head ultrasound (same idea as a pregnancy ultrasound) to look at his brain on Monday.  They will also snip that little piece of skin under his tongue on Mon.  (My family has a history of being tongue tied.   Jonathan has a great "suck" but he needs a little extra length to get a good latch on the nipple.  It will be a quick little snip and it will make nursing so much easier!)
TUESDAY is the big day to roll him over.  The repair looks great it's healing so nicely and there is no leaking spinal fluid.  The Dr's gave approval today for Jonathan to start to lay on his side as long as no pressure is put on his incision.  He is so happy to get off his tummy (I am so excited to see he HAS a tummy:) 
Caleb and I are a bit exhausted, I can't believe it's Sat already.  We spend our days sleeping, visiting Jonathan and pumping, we even eat sometimes:)  We are very happy though.  We fall more and more in love with our little boy every day.  Each time it gets harder to leave him, but at the same time we are so thankful that he is in such good hands.  I feel so honored and blessed to have the staff a Texas Children's caring for our son.  
God is watching over us, and he hears all of our prayers.  Thank you, all... we may never know until we get "Home" what could have been and what miracles are being preformed because of YOUR prayers.  We pray that you are all blessed as we have been so blessed by YOU! 
Love, 
Caleb and Kimberly

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog.! What a handsome boy Jonathan is, I can't tell what color his eyes are but they are beautiful. Great team work to keep everyone primed, fed and working! We love the pictures. The news about Jonathan is so good. God has truly blessed your little family and we count it an honor to have been a part of this miracle.

    Please tell Kathy, Bob and Heidi how much we love them for all they have done and continue to do to help watch over you down in Texas. We keep praying everyday. Love, Mom Dill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely a beautiful baby boy! I'm sure in no time soon he will be a bouncing baby boy and You and Caleb will be even more exhausted chasing after him. We are praying for him daily and will continue! I'm so excited for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how hard it was to pump. Don't worry--it will be over soon! You are a super mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, guys! He is such a bundle of blessing!
    God is good!
    As I've gotten to know Caleb the last year and we have talked off and on about what it's like to be a parent. One thing I've told him over and over again is "Your life will never be the same!" But, I want you both to know, that's good!
    When you are tired and exhausted, remember where your strength comes from and lean on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing and miracle Johnathan is. WoW. The news sounds better every day. I just love the pictures. Our ladies prayer group prays for him every week and I am so excited to pass on the progress report. We'll be praying for good results on his test tomorrow. Good luck breastfeeding. Janet Hofer

    ReplyDelete