Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Texas Children's Hospital


Today was a LONG day!   Here at Mom/Pop's house we set our alarms for 5:30am (ouch:)  We were in the car and on the road by 6:30am, headed to downtown Houston and Texas Children's Hospital.  It took an hour to get to Houston, and another 30min to navigate downtown and arrive at the hospital... thank goodness for GPS, traffic in Houston, NOT FUN!  We made it into the building by 8am, our first stop, the cafe... we were all starving!  After a kolochie (yummmm) we made it to the the 4th floor at 8:30am to check-in (at which time they took all my money lol:).  There were a lot of parents and kiddos already there waiting.  My actual ultrasound was scheduled for 9am, I didn't get seen until 10:30am.  The ultrasound its self was kinda disappointing, I didn't have a screen to watch and it was all diagnostic, so no fun shot's of looking at Jonathan's face and no pictures:(.  Mom was there and had a better view though.  I lived vicariously through her little ohh's and ahh's over his "adorable feet and hands":)  He's grown 6oz since my ultrasound Wed.  He's tipping the scales at 5lbs 10oz!
That took 30min, then the Radiology Dr came in and did some more ultrasound, he was very nice.  Then they took me to MRI, where.... I waited for "15 min" three different times (for those of you who missed that, 45+min) :)  It was after noon by the time they got me on the table.  Ok, I've had 3 MRI's before... never had a problem... This time though, as they began launching me into the pod, I started to cry.  I had a mental "freak out" about being in a little tube for 30+ min.  The tech was kind, she backed me back out and held my hand while I prayed for peace.  Then I shut my eyes (avoid and deny:) and back in I went.  The MRI started, the noise even made Jonathan jump around at first, then he got pretty still and I fell asleep.  I woke up when the noise stopped 45min later, I couldn't feel my arms (which were stretched out over my head).  I made the mistake of opening my eyes... I took a deep breath and cried out "hello"... nothing, again "hello"... still nothing.  I thought, "ok, Kim suck it up" (I really wanted to crawl backwards out of the tube at this point, but I was a good girl:)  Once more... near tears... "hello"????  This time an answer and the tube began to move... FREEDOM!!!  The Dr decided he had what he needed and I was done!  I rescued my parents from the waiting room around 2pm, we were all starving again, we had some lunch and made the hour trek home.  I was pooped!  I put on some comfy cloths, laid down, and passed out for 2 hours.  It has been a LONG emotional day.  I'm looking forward to doing devotionals with Caleb over Skype and then going back to bed:)
Tomorrow we head back to Houston to meet my OB and hopefully get some info and dates.  Fingers crossed!!  I'll let you all know!  

1 comment:

  1. What an awful day! I don't think I would do well with MRIs. You are an amazing mother.

    ReplyDelete